Subject: Re: A TIP to all you new character animators, including myself!
From: Andrew Hofman <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 23:50:42 -0500

>
>  Okay here's a tip to all ya new character animators::
>
>Be sure to finalize teh model BEFORE you start bending and altering teh
>shape..finalization includes metaformings..merging points AND TRIPLING all
>the polygons. If you tripple after making your target morph positions, you
>will have to start all over because your models will not morph properly..
>
>

A  morph target I was working on appeared fine until I bent it in Modeler.
After doing this, I checked it in Stats. Suddenly a few hundred polys were
"illegal". If I had tripled just the polys in the morph target, the morph
would not have worked properly. 

Solution: After performing the bend, I found all illegal polys again using
Stats/Non-Planar. With these now hilighted, I hit Undo to straighten the
object back out. When you do this, any selected polys remain hilighted. I
tripled only these and saved the object out as the master version, then used
Bend/Numeric to recreate the original bend. I saved this bent version out as
the morph target. This way, all potentially illegal polys have been found in
advance, without the overkill of tripling every single poly in the object.

   ************************************************
   * Andy Hofman       |    LumaQuest Productions *            
   * [email-masked]  |             3D Animation *
   * 513-643-7333      |  Dual Raptor 3 Rendering *
   ************************************************